International Festival of Sacred Franciscan Music
Mindful of their tradition, the Franciscan families of Assisi, with the collaboration of the Choir of the Basilica of San Francesco, sponsor the 2nd International Festival of Sacred Music, a non-competitive event in which, both choral and instrumental groups can participate from any country and nation.
Purpose of this festival is to contribute to the promotion of the sacred music culture, in particular the one tied to the inspiration or for composition to the figure of Saint Francis and the Franciscan world. Through the meeting of the various choral and instrumental groups, to give testimony, that it is possible to enhance and develop a culture of peace and cooperation between peoples and cultures in the spirit of Assisi.
Christ came as the savior: “In the beginning was the Word: the Word was with God and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things came into being, not one thing came into being except through him. What has come into being in him was life, life that was the light of men; and light shines in darkness, and darkness could not overpower it.” (John 1,1-5). If Christ came to save mankind, this finds full consent in the affirmation that he came because those who do not see may see the wonders performed by God’s love. It is God who works in evident light, who works in secret, who operates in visible things, who works in the hearts. Christ is in fact the Light of the World that illuminates every man that looks for truth, as he illuminated Saint Francis. And it is in this perspective we wish to “dialog”.
The festival will be held from the 15th to the 18th of October 2015, with concerts that will be held during various moments of the day in various Franciscan locations in and around Assisi. Culmination of the festival will be the final concert, which will see the participation of all groups enrolled. The event will conclude with a solemn Eucharistic Celebration in the Upper Basilica of San Francesco and the execution of the Canticle of the Creatures of Fr. Domenico Star, with the participation of all the choirs and instrumental groups.
How to subscribe: The choral and/or instrumental groups who intend to participate at the festival will be required to submit pre-enrolment, by sending an e-mail to the address firstname.lastname@example.org:
- The appropriate form must be completed in all its parts.
- The program that will be performed will be of a maximum of 40 minutes (remember that the program has to refer to the figure of Saint Francis and to the “light”); in the program there will have to be also indicated two pieces to be played in the final concert of a maximum duration of 7 minutes.
- An audio and/or video recording of the participating group.
- Copy of the deposit payment of € 150,00 for administrative fees made payable to bank account Cappella Musicale della Basilica Papale S. Francesco – ASSISI PAX MUNDI, care of Banca UNICREDIT, Agenzia Assisi Madonna dell’Olivo, BIC Swift UNCRITM1J12, IBAN IT 04 N 02008 38278 000102931525
before and not after June 30th 2015.
Pre-registration of applying groups that are not completed by the June 30th 2015 will not be taken into consideration. The artistic committee will select a maximum of 15 groups, which will be asked to confirm their registration.
All groups will be given a certificate of participation.
For groups who wish to do so, there will be organized visits to the manuscripts of the music archives of the Basilicas.
Stay: Every participating group will have to provide for their own stay. The organization wishes to give indication of the following affiliated structures with the review:
- Hotel Domus Pacis Assisi – Address: Piazza Porziuncola, 1, 06081 – S. Maria deli Angeli, Assisi (PG); Tel: +39 075 804 3530; e-mail: email@example.com
- Domus Lætitiæ Assisi – Address: Viale Giovanni XXIII, 2, 06081 – Assisi (PG); Tel. +39 075 812792; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Monastero Sant’Andrea Suore Francescane Missionarie di Gesù Bambino – Address: Vicolo Santa Margherita, 13, 06081 Assisi (PG); Tel. +39 075 812274; e-mail: email@example.com
- Suore Francescane Missionarie di Assisi – Address: Via S. Francesco, 13/b, 06081 – Assisi (PG); Tel. +39 075 812267; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pro Civitate Christiana, Cittadella Ospitalità – Address: Via Ancaiani, 3, 06081 – Assisi (PG); Tel. +39 075 813231; e-mail: email@example.com
Registration: Registration form
Thursday 15 October 2015
Morning Arrival of the various groups at Assisi and accommodation in hotels
16.30 hrs. Piazza del Comune – Greeting by the representatives of the Franciscan families and authorities.
Inaugural lecture “Music Franciscan in music history”
21.00 hrs. Opening Concert
Friday 16 – Saturday 17 October 2015
11.00 – 12.00 – 16.00 – 17.00 – 19.30 – 21.00 hrs Concert in various Franciscan locations.
Saturday 17 October 2015
21.00 hrs. Closing concert in the presence of all participating groups.
Sunday 18 October 2015
09.30 hrs. Rehearsals in the Upper Basilica of Saint Francis
10.30 hrs. Solemn Mass in the Basilica of St. Francis
(to follow) The execution of the Canticle of the Creatures of p. DM Stella with the participation of all groups.
The definite program with times of concerts of the various participating groups will be communicated at least 15 days prior to arrival in Assisi.